Monday, June 6, 2011

Logansport, IN to Huntington, IN

Miles 71

73 miles rode

avg mph 13.5

The morning came way to fast.  Had breakfast with everyone.  Aired up tires and I was off.  I was 4 of the last riders to leave.  A mile from the hotel I took a wrong turn.  Mary and Jeanette yelled at me.  I was able to not do any bonus miles.  I was 2nd to last after that.  I caught up to Rhonda, Carol, Jan, Karen, Lin.  I rode with them til the first sag stop. Mile 18 was sag stop.   After the sag stop I rode with Patty.  Its tough riding with the guides.  They are just awesome.  But I held my owe.  I might have said a few choice words but I was able to hang with Patty today.  At mile marker 35, Patty and Denise switched.  I rode with Denise the rest of the way.  Denise is a power house.  We got to the second sag at around mile 40.  All the lead riders were there refreshing.  Denise and I  left the lead riders.  We took off and were the lead riders the rest of the way.  We were riding through Salamonie River State Forest up a hill and I could not down shift.  My front derailleur would not respond to my hand levers.  So it was slow going on the hills in the state forest.  One hill I made it halfway and had to walk the rest of the way.  Denise thought it was my cable was stretched.  We had one last sag stop near the Salamonie Dam around mile 54.  Denise and I had to wait 10-15 minutes for the sag to come.  It had to go back to mile 48 to pick Sue up.  Her front tire had a spoke break.  I adjusted my clips on the bottom of my shoes while I waited.  We refueled and talk a bit to the girls and then we were off again.  As we went through the town of Huntington.  I noticed my wheel was starting to wobble.  I had about a mile an half left to go when, another spoke broke.  I walked the rest of the way to the hotel.  I bent the spoke around other spokes and biked the last .4 miles to the hotel.   Denise was waiting.  She took Sue and I to Summitt Bicycle and Fitness in Fort Wayne, In.  35 miles or so away from the hotel.  They treated us very well.  Aaron one of the bike mechanic's gave us a sample of his Cycling butter.  Which was awesome.  They gave me a deal on my wheel and derailleur.  If you need bike reapir in Fort Wayne, In GO TO SUMMIT BICYCLES.  Sue treated Denise and I to Texas Road house which was excellent.  Sue Thank you







14 miles from Rochester

Lin, Jan, Rhonda and Karen

Lin's shadow


This is Lin's kind of sign


The roads were good today

Wheat field


First Sag Stop

Patty saving a turtle.  She picked it up to take it to side of road.  It peed all over the road


Never saw any of those

The hill were I noticed I could not shift down



The Salamonie Dam

Thw Salamonie Dam





Denise and I crossing the Dam
Sue and Jeanette doing the Voodoo spoke dance.  I started the spoke voodoo


Denise and Rita checking out Sue's broken spoke

Highway SR 9

The buildings in downtown Huntington were beautiful.  Wish I would have taken more pictures







My third broken spoke in 6 days.



Summitt bicycle shop was awesome to us.  If you need bike repair in Fort Wayne, In .  I highly recommend them.
Denise and Sue talking to Aaron the mechanic.  Sue was getting her front spoke replaced
Sue checking out a Townie
Aaron graduated from Purdue University.  Denise Great Great Great Great Great Uncle founded Purdue University.
Sue and Aaron

Aaron's cycling butter he started making for his girlfriend.  He gave us three a jar of it to try

John working on my bike
Aaron and John putting my front derailleur on.  Sue trying to be the star of the picture

John and Aaron were great!!


LOVE THIS BIKE SHOP
Summit is even going to ship my wheel back to Harper's in IA.  So hopefully I can get my money back.


Sue took us to Dinner.  She is way to nice

Mary is my roommate tonight


No comments:

Post a Comment