Friday, June 10, 2011

Huron, OH to Cleveland,OH

Miles 55
miles rode 57
avg mph 13.3

I was the last person to leave.   I caught up to Hille, Karen and Ramsey very soon.   I rode with them For maybe the first 4 miles then went on my own.  Patty caught up to me not long after I left the group I was with.  Patty and I caught the lead riders maybe at mile 7 or 8.  I passed all of them even Patty.  Not far up the road there was a Old Women Creek sign I knew all of them would stop. I passed Lin, Jan and Rhonda a little before the first sag in Vermillion, OH.  It was an awesome town.  Its has public comfort stations.  Which are public restrooms.  Very nice.  I left the sag by myself.  I passed a couple of riders going the other way.  About mile 20.  One of them came up behind me, and said he had been trying to catch me for away.  He asked if he could ride with me.  I saw no harm in it.  So we talked and rode.  About woman tours, where we are headed, what he does, where he rides.  Dick was his name.  He rode with me to the second sag.  Waited for me to fill my water bottles and get something to eat.  Dick talked to Rita our sag for the day.  Then we were off and riding again.  Real cool guy.  He's 68 and has been retired for 4 or 5 years.  Was a runner before he picked up biking.  He rode with me til mile 39 or 40.  It was nice.  When I was with him I lookd at my MPH and we were going 17-19 mph the whole time we were together.  It started to rain right when he turned around to go home.  That was mile 42.  It poured the rest of the way to the hotel.  It was a blast!  Not long after the 42 mile point, There was construction I took the detour around it.  Everyone behind me took the sidewalk.  They beat me to the other side.  They were all shocked to see me behind them.  I followed Denise, Sue, Bev. Jeanette and Mary the rest of the way.  It was probably a good thing we were all together.  We were able to take up a lane when we were riding downtown Cleveland.  We rode by the Cleveland Browns stadium and Rock & Roll hall of frame right before the hotel.  It will be great for our rest day tomorrow.  Everything is in walking distance from the hotel.  We got in before 12:30.  We had lunch.  I went an bought a card for Denise.  By the time I got back it was time for the Gin and Tonic party that the WOW's were throwing for the departees and the new arrivals.  I tried a Gin and Tonic and it was trouble.  After the G&T party we went to dinner at a resturant not far from the hotel.  It was really a send off to the people whom are leaving us  and the new riders a meet and greet.  It was alot of fun.  I had a few drinks.  I was feeling just right.  We had poems and jingles to say goodbye.  It was a great way to end the tour for the ones that are leaving and the new riders. 




Last Map meeting with Denise

Denise at her last map meeting
 Lea, Jeanette, Mary and Karen

Sue and Karen off there new sun protectors

Karen, Ramsey, Hille and I went off route to see Lake Erie not far from our night hotel


The lead riders going through a weird intersection with the sag following them


A picture moment for the lead riders.  They stopped here to take a group photo


interesting house I passed
US 6 was a smooth rode all the way to Cleveland

Road construction-  the car behind me was very nice.  He/ she did not try to pass me in the construction.  They showed great patience


Vermillion library

DownTown Vermillion, OH   Beautiful Town










Deer on the side of the road.  They made me very nervous.  So I stopped and waited for them to go their way

One was close to being hit my a car.  But he was lucky he got away

Never saw any of these today

Crossing the bridge in Lorain

Dick riding on the bridge.  He started riding with me about 3 or 4 miles before the bridge
Rita and Dick


Rocky River Historic Fishing Pier






Denise, Sue, Mary, Bev, Jeanette and I waiting at a stoplight in cleveland



Bev a new rider.  Greeting us in the lobby



The Hotel gave us towels because we were dripping water every where in the lobby.  They tried to get us in our rooms very quickly

Newspaper in the shoes
Donna, Bettye and Cathy making it to the hotel
Donna and Bev

Patty handing out room keys

Hille, Carol, Cathy and Donna at lunch
Mary and Bev

 This was in the middle of downtown.  After lunch I walked down there




A beautiful church



Gin & Tonic party room 1016

Donna gave hre beloved bike a shower
Going to dinner


Denise's last speech

Ramsey is going to kill me for putting this on here.  She got rhythm and the moves!!

Lea, Carol and Ramsey's farewell to everyone





Cocktails after dinner.  It was a great afternoon


Cleveland at night



No comments:

Post a Comment