Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Defiance, OH to Bowling Green, OH


Miles 48.5

Miles rode 35/48.5

Avg mph 13.6

We started early today breakfast at 6:30am.  Out by 7ish.  I was the 4 to last rider out.  I passed Jan, Lin, Carol and Rhonda not far from the hotel.  I caught up to Ramsey, Hille, Rita and Donna  at the entrance of Independence Dam State Park.  They were taken pictures of  the old canel that was began in 1832.  Very cool that canal boats and passengers used the small canal for travel. (pics below).  After finishing there we stopped at the Dam also.  Donna and Rita  took off ahead of us.  I didn't see Donna  til the 35 mile marker.  Ramsey, Hille and I continued through the park.  We picked up the tow path of the canal.  It was amazing and fun.  It was about 2.5 miles long.  We meet Rita and Jeanette at a tree that had fallen on the path.  Jeanette climbed up on the tree for a picture.  She is a thrill seeker.  After the kodak moment, we bent down and tilted our bikes under the tree. Off we went again.  We rode through Florida, OH then through Napoleon, OH. Did you know campbell's soup hometown is Napolean,OH.  I had no idea either till yesterday when Denise told us we would be riding by it.  It was huge factory.  Many buildings.  Ramsey wanted a V8 t-shirt.  No can do.  Campbell's doesn't to tours or have souvenir shop.  That was a bummer.  But Oh well.  Patty caught up to us when we were leaving the campbell's parking lot.  I continued to ride with them for a couple more miles.  I foumd my rhythm,  I was off.  Patty switched was Denise about the 25 mile marker.  She passed me about 4 miles outside of Grand Rapids, OH.  I was so wanting to get in the van.  I gave her a thumbs up  and she was gone.  Not long after she drove by. I was riding my bike in just my socks.  While riding my bike I removed my shoes. My feet were killing me.  It felt great not to have my shoes on.  I put my shoes back on right before Grand Rapids.  When I got to the sag around mile 34.  I was thankful to see Patty seating there.  I got in the van, Patty took me to the bike shop in Bowling Green, OH.  Cycle Werks is an awesome bike shop.  They helped fixed my problem.  Gave me many options.  I decided to go with new shoes, clips and pedals.  I should have Happy Feet now.  Ramsey and Hille came in after finishing the route.  Ramsey had to get her rear deraillur fixed.  They were great to her also.  Patty and I went to the hotel picked up Denise, then went and met Ramsey and Hille at Call of the Canyon Cafe.  Great Sandwiches.  I had their club.  It was the best club sandwich ever.  

 On the way into Bowling Green, OH I called Harper's the bike shop where  I bought the trouble wheel.  I wanted to let them know that Summit bicycle shop in Indiana was sending them the wheel.  To my surprise they received it today.  The manufacturer is going to give them their money back.  So in return they are going to refund my money also.  No hard feelings.  They took very good care of Woman Tours. 

It was a lazy day.  Watched TV did laundry. Glad we started early because it was another blistering day.  It was in the high 90's.  when we checked during lunch it was 100 degrees out.  We were all glad it was a short day because of the hot temps. 

Hille and Ramsey before the ride

Sue, Lea and Rhonda

Sue and Lin

Everyone eat breakfast and get snacks for the ride

Another jingle from Carol


Found this interesting So I took a picture.  This was like 2 or 3 miles from Defiance















Independence Dam

The Maumee River

Ramsey was having issues.  She fell of her bike then Hille wanted her down by the river to get a picture.  She slipped and fell on her ass.  It was funny after we knew she wasn't hurt

Ramsey and Hille






Entrance to  the tow path.
The first 10 miles was shade.  Very comfortable




gj





Denise checking on us after the Tow Path.  Everyone rode the path.  Everyone enjoyed it!


Houses I would love to own




Catching up to Lin and Rhonda they passed us when we were at the Dam













Another house

The old barns are handsome
Not sure what this building was.
Love these old homes




My last sag stop of the day.  Patty saved me. 


Bowling Green, OH has a great downtown


Patty talking to Harry.  I think he is the owner of the Cycle Werks bike shop.  Really nice guy


Aaron working on my bike the handsome guy kneeling.  We all wanted to take him home.

Aaron talking to Ramsey


Tyler gave us our lunch spot to eat at.  We also paid him for all our goods



Denise and Ramsey ( Love the helmet hair Ramsey)

Patty and Hille

Best Club sandwich

After lumch we went back to the bike shop to give them Woman Tour brochures and business cards.  There was many of our rides there checking the shop out.

Sue and the seat she wants to get

 Aaron helping everone
 Harry's custom 1980 carbon Look bike.  Everyone  was checking it out

 Last riders heading to the hotel


Rooming by myself

No comments:

Post a Comment