Monday, June 13, 2011

Austinburg, OH to Erie, PA

Miles 48.8

Miles rode 57

Avg mph 15

We had a later start today.  Breakfast was at 7:30am.  We were on the road by 8ish.  I was the last person out today.  About 2 miles away from the hotel.  I came across the group on theWestern Reserve Greenway bike Trail  we were riding.  At first I thought they were taking a picture.  A group picture.  No when I got up there everyone was around Rhonda.  She had clipped a tire ahead of her and down she went.  She was laying face down. After a moment or two she sat up.  She had road burn on her right arm.  Her knee was bloody also. She broke her helmet.   Bev J.  and Rita called the sag and Patty.  I took off the other way to flag down the sag.  I was able to let the sag know there was a way to get on the bike trail and she was thankful I came to the end of the road that the bike trail started off of.  The sag was able to pick Rhonda and pass her to Patty in the van.  They went to the hospital.  When I caught up to where the Rhonda and the sag were the group of riders were on their way.  I took off on the route also.  I passed a few on the bike trail.  I caught the others in Ashtabula.  We came across bridge construction so we all had to take the detour.  Everyone caught up to each other and rode together through Ashtabula.  We went off the route a bit to stop at the Hubbard House. Its part of the Underground Railroad.  I think it was the last stop before leaving for Canada.  It was closed. We all left there on our own.  Not far from the house we came across a draw bridge.  Traffic was backed up a ways because the bridge was up.  I rode along the traffic, by the time I got up there traffic was moving.  I slide in between to cars that were moving slow and crossed on the bridge.  The other riders crossed on the sidewalk.  Thats the last time I saw a lot of the riders.  I passed others that had not stopped at the house.  The route wanted us to take SR7 but it also had road construction.  So we had to detour off  route again.  At this time I had meet up with Hille, Kathy and Laura.  Hille seemed to know where she was going so I followed them for away.  When we got to US 20.  I just stayed on US 20.  I didn't get back on the WT route.  US 20 took me to Conneaut where the WT route would meet up with US20.  I didn't ride the scenic route but thats ok.  US20 was a smooth road with a wide shoulder.  It was fine.  The sag didn't know where I was, but Oh Well.  I stopped at a shell station in Conneaut.  Had HoHo's and beef jerky and a Mt Dew and I was off.  From Conneaut I followed the WT route.  I picked up SR5 which was another smooth road with a wide shoulder.  Crossed the stateline into Pennsylvania.  I was about 12 miles away from the hotel when the sag called to check on me.  I said I was fine.  Everyone was still in Conneaut.  I was like 15 miles a head of everyone.  I made it to Erie Pa. I stopped at Competitive Gear a bike shop before the hotel.  I got my tires tured and new rear brake pads.  I made it to Erie about 12:30.  Went to the hotel, hung out in the lobby because rooms were not ready.  Sue and Rhonda passed me in the Van/trailer as I was heading to the hotel.  First contact of WT people in a while. 

The bike trail



 

Everyone taking care of Rhonda
 The sag picking up Rhonda
Getting ready to pass a lot of the WT riders
History along theWestern Reserve Greenway Trail

Library in Ashtabula.  It was a great looking building.  But the picture does not show it
Another church.  I just think they are beautiful buildings.  I'm weird

The sag passing us on our first detour off the WT route
Riders going through more construction



Wish this place was open.   It would have been neat to see the inside






Hanging out at the house
Lake Eric from the backyard of the Hubbard house
Cute town of Ashtabula before the draw bridge

Dont remeber what town this was.  It was very cool seeing all the flags blowing in the wind


US 20 smooth road





Another smooth road.  What every rider loves



Gus and Charlie.  I really have no idea what their names are.  They were walking along the road. Minding their own business.  I was a little nervous riding up on them  at first but they didn't bother me.
Smooth road and shade what else can you ask for

12 miles from the hotel I stopped here for a break

I stoped at Competitive Gear bike shop.  They have the life.  Nap time Their names are black dog and yellow dog

Wish my first Schwinn looked like this.  This was in the window at the other bike shop in town.  Some went here to John Adams and some went to Competitive Gear








I went to the store with Patty.  She had to get supplies.  We were getting beer for the
group.  We were filling the cart.  The sales clerk came up to us.  She said that one person can only buy 192 ounces at a time.  So we had to put some back.  Patty went through the line, bought 192oz.  Then I went through line and bought 192 oz.  It also could not be in the same cart.  As we were leaving there was a sign that said something about 192oz being a state law.  I didn't read it all. 

After dinner I got to know my roommate Pat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment