Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bowling Green, OH to Huron, OH

Miles 68.3

Miles rode 70

Avg mph 15

Another early start today.  6:30 am breakfast.  Out by 7am.  Mary and I were the last two riders out today.  With my new shoes and pedals I was off with great hopes of no foot pain.  Mary and I went at a very good pace this morning.  The roads were smooth and flat.  I think we passed Jan, Lin and Rhonda close to our first sag stop in Gibsonburg, OH.  It was at a gas station.  Great, we used a real restroom and not the green room .  After the sag stop Mary, Jeanette, Bev and I were off. We passed Patty and Carol at the corner bakery.  They stopped for breakfast.  About a mile from the sag I stopped to take a photo of an old car at a restaurant that has probably been closed for years.  Mary, Jeanette and Bev passed me as I was taking the picture.  To stop I had unclipped my left foot. Took the picture.  I got my bike turned around.  My right foot still clipped in. Started hop walking with my left foot to get momentum to get on my bike.  I thought I had enough movement.  I was wrong.  Went to clip in with my left and Oh Shit. I fell to the right. With my right foot still clipped in and unable to get it unclipped.  I fell on my right side getting a scrap  on my hand and leg.  And yes it hurt.  Not long after my fall Denise arrived with the Van/Trailer. She did a quick turn into the parking lot.  She helped me clean my hand up.  She checked out my bike.  The handlebar lever was a little off but something that could be fixed later.  Patty and Carol rolled up as Denise was putting the first aid kit away.  Carol rolled on.  Patty and I rode together Till we got to were Denise left the Van/Trailer.  Patty decided to ride a bit of the North Coast Inland Bike Trail for a while then turned around to go back to the van/trailer.  I really like riding with both of the guides.  I caught up to Mary on the trail.  We passed Jeanette and Bev on the trail at the beginning.  After awhile Mary and I caught the lead riders right before the second sag.  It was a short sag, I rode with Denise, Ramsey, Hille, And Karen after the sag.  Denise and I rode ahead and caught Mary.  Us three were going along following the route sheet.  As we were going down a road we could see water on the road.  As we got closer it just wasn't water it was a pond right in the middle of the road.  So we turned around and rerouted.  We took a lot of the main roads into Huron.  It wasn't to out of the way.  Just alot of heavy truck traffic.  We all stopped a number of times worrying about if we were going the correct way.  Denise was there to set us straight.  We all made it to the motel early.  Karen, Sue, Ramsey, Hille and I went to Wendy's for lunch.  Then it was another lazy day.  Tonight is our last night cooking out of the trailer and sitting in the parking lot with plastic chairs as this group.  4 of us leave in two days and then we gain 7 new people.   




Pemberville, OH


Love this older homes
Flat, smooth roads today
First Sag stop in Gibsonburg, Oh


Carol and Paty going in for a morning snack
Awesome home
This is the car I just had to have a picture of.  This is also the parking lot where I fell.  OUCH!!





This road was just big enough for one vehicle.

These two have been on the road for 5 months and have 5 months to go.  They are riding all 50 states for charity. http://www.giveabike.com/  Adam and Christy seemed like great people!
One lane road

GoodYear retread plant in Fremont, OH


Fremont had great roads
More houses









The North Coast Inland Bike Trail starts in Fremont, OH and ends in CLyde, OH



Passing Donna, Rita, Bettye, Cathy and Lea on the trail



Donna, Bettye and Rita passing me

The pond in the middle of the road.

Mary in front( can't see her), Rita, Cathy and Lea

Lunch time at Wendy's

Karen and Sue got these today.  They are there Michael Jackson face protectors from the sun

Patty's last supper of the tour.  Patty is taking Denise spot in two days and a new cook is arriving in two days
Cathy, Mary,Bev, Ramsey, Bettye,Jeanette, Lea, Rhonda and Hille chatting before dinner


Last parking lot dinner with the 4 that are leaving





Carol and Mary
Jeanette, Mary and Cathy in the elevator

Roommate is Ramsey tonight

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog and am enjoying following your adventure. I was also curious.. what new shoes did you decide on??? Hope you're feet pain disappears quickly.

    ReplyDelete