Friday, May 27, 2011

Wabasha, MN to La Crosse, WI

 71 Miles

Everyone hanging out eating breakfast around 7:15am

I left before everyone.  I just wanted to ride by myself after yesterday.
I made it to the first sag.  I refueled with food and drink.  I stayed till a group of riders came.  Then I left so I could continue by myself and be first.

US 61 was a great road.  The shoulder was great for a bike.
 Just like in a car, you prefer not to hit these on a bike also.
 More of US 61
 
First town of the day
 Church in the town of Kellogg.  I found myself drawn to churches.  They all have their own beauty.
 CR 84.  pretty flat had a few gentle hills

 The landscape is so green in Minnesotsa.  I love it

 
This sign made me laugh.  Its how I feel going up hills.  But none today, that were to trouble
 More of CR 84


 Back on US 61.  riding around the mississippi river. 
 Beautiful landscape - US 61

 A church in Minneiska.



 Lock and Damn

 A garage right before we turned on CR 32 into Winona, MN
 CR 32 had a bike lane all through town
I had to use the restroom and pick up a MT Dew.  I went off the route to find a gas station.  After I made my pit stop.  A lot of the WT riders were in front of me.  They were very confused how I got behind them, when I had been in front of them and they had dont seen me all day. 


 Church in Winona, MN.

 The we cross to go into Wisconsin
 The pictures below are of the awesome court house in Winona. I believe build 1889.



















 Mary and Patty taking pictures of the court house













 Trying to get a group photo.
 Asking were to get lunch in Winona
 Inside pictures of court house



 Old and new district judges
 Wood work inside


 The bridge to Wisconsin
 Riding the bridge, Crossing the Mississippi once again
 The path was wood.  Or it looked like wood







 Second sag of day.  Beginning of Great River Trail on dirt road.  Very flat trail and the tree line blocked the wind. We rode this trail for the last 30 miles.  It was great.  After the second sag stop. Denise, Nashville, Hille and I all rode together for a while.  Then Denise and I found our rhythm and we were off. Sometimes going 18mph.





 We did get off the trail for a few miles so Densie could get a coffee from the coffee shop in Trempealeau.  This was a church near there


 We passed a 4th grade field trip on the trail

Our last sag stop of the day

Nashville showing everyone how a lady on the trail was wearing her helmet backwards

Video of the trail






The Trail was a great ride. But if it were not for the people along the trail we would not have found our way.  The Trail had so many cross trails and exits.  It was not marked as well as it should have been.  We made it. Just not  on the route we should have been on.  We kept going straight on the trail and we should have turn some where.  We came in on Rt 16 on to 53.

I had Lee as a roomate again tonight.  The hotel is a pet friendly hotel.  All rooms are used by pets.  Lee has allergies.  So she asked for a room that may had not been used by as many pets.  She said if the new room was bad she was going to sleep in the van.

Dinner was awesome as usual.  Patty cooked on the grill.  The Hotel had a huge grill that she used.

Patty and Jan talking


No comments:

Post a Comment