Sunday, May 29, 2011

Prairie Du Chien, WI to Dyersville, IA






Miles 46

I didn't ride today.  It was a van day.  Lee and Jan joined me in the van also.  Everyone else started the day.  Denise took us through this historic area of old houses and train station before leaving Prairie Du Chien.  The town is trying to preserve it.  It was very interesting.  After we drove around looking at the old buildings we crossed the Mississippi again into Iowa.  As we were leaving town it started to lightly rain.  We arrived at the first sag after climbing the hills that Denise warned us about.  Sue left with Karen the sag for a 10 or 15 mile bump or could have been less.  But she got in the van when we pulled up.  She didn't want to ride in the rain.  Who can blame her.  We waited there for the riders to make sure no one wanted a ride.  The people in the van got treats out of the sag,  sat and talked.  Most everyone or the lead riders just stopped for food water and put their rain gear on.  Off they went.  As we sat there longer.  The wind started to get worse and the rain a bit heavier.  So we went to the next town. In Guttenburg lighting became a big issue.  So Denise thought she would have to talk people into not riding.  They were more than willing to jump in the van.  They made it about halfway.  Some made farther than others.  So we left Guttenburg and as we went along we picked people and bikes up as we went.  It was one packed van. 15 people.  The guides had to put some bikes into the kitchen area of the trailer.  There was no roof space left.  Denise( the driver)  had to deal with alot of wind.  The van and trailer were being pushed around a bit.  The Sag driver picked up the last of the riders. Or 3 of the last 4.  She had to go back out for Jeanette because of lack of space.  When we got to Dyersville the weather was not as bad.  We unloaded the bikes and bags and took over the lobby of the hotel.  None of the rooms were ready.  As they became available we slowly left the lobby.  It was probably good two hours of waiting.  After getting a room.  I left for field of dreams. It was great.  Came back went to subway. Then off to the national farm toy museum. I knew when I rode by the car wash I should have stopped to clean my bike.    Denise worked on my bike before dinner.  Pretty much told me I need to keep it cleaner than I do.  It would probably work alot better.  She adjusted my brakes and lubed my chain.  Which actually made a difference.  But the back wheel isn't right.  It just feels weird. She thinks I might need a new rim.   So I'm not going to ride the 98 miles tomorrow.  Going to have another rest day and ride in the van.  Support the ladies that are riding. Then on Tuesday which is a a scheduled day off.  I will take it to hopefully get it repaired.






Lea at breakfast

Lee, Jan, Lin, Carol and Donna

Betty and Karen
Darln the egg maker.  She was awesome
Everyone getting ready to leave





Denise getting the trailer ready to leave
Denise loading the bikes
Karen the sag driver with Sue whom is getting a bump
The Old Village
























I think this is Luxemburg main st



Picture of the weather at the first sag stop.  I used the green room.

Passing riders after the first sag

Guttenburg I think or dyersville. I have know idea. Its a church that's all I know
Lee and Jan waiting for riders to get in the van
Sue, Lee, Jan and Hille

Patty handing bikes to Denise on the roof
Everyone getting in!


Side view of Nashville

Waiting at top of hill to get the lead riders off the road. Then off to the hotel

Full Van

Cathy and Donna

Rita, Bev and Jan

cool looking water tower




Hanging in the lobby waiting for rooms

Betty giving me what for!!  telling me how much sugar Mt Dew has in it.  I think she said 12 spoons per 20oz



Lea chillin

Patty resting before she has to cook
Jeanette finally arrived.  WooHoo

Carol with her arm warmers on her feet
The road to field of dreams


































Yes Mercier. I bought another T-shirt. 

Hille and Mary watching the info. movie





























I want the purple one.






After dinner everyone listening to Denise talking about the route for tomorrow

Chicken Chillie, corn bread and salad

No comments:

Post a Comment