Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Milaca, MN to Stillwater, MN

Sorry folks, I was to tired to mess with a blog yesterday.

Miles 106

Woke early so we could have an extra hour to ride. I rode the first 20 miles by myself.  It took about that long for my body and mind to work together. We had sun all day long.


First sag stop all the people who were getting  a 40 mile bump were waiting for us. It was a great welcoming party.

The Next 20 miles I started by myself.  I caught up to Cathy, Rhonda and Nashville.  We went over some nasty roads.  They were great until you came across one of these sand and gravel pits.




After riding with them for awhile I went off by myself. A street sign reminded me I'm a little ways away from home.

This car was very cool looking.  Anything old looking is cool.



 Patty(the cook) and Mary caught up to me right before the 40 mile sag.  Sag was at the top of a hill in a town called Stark.

We stopped at the Full Moon.

We used the restroom.  Its always a polite thing to buy something.  So I had my first Mt Dew of the day.
After the restroom break we stayed at the sag and ate for a while.  Greeted riders as they came to the sag.


Rhonda and Donna coming in.


Standing around giving the butt a break.

Karen the sag for the day checking riders off as they came in. Its the sag's job to keep track of everyone through out the day.

Van and Trailer parked across the street

The guides getting ready to switch.  Patty will take the van and trailer and go start dinner.  Denise will ride the rest of the day.


After the break, I started riding with Mary.  We were moving at a very good pace.

Miniature horses and lama's .  I know the things I take picures of are a little crazy.


Mary and I made good time to the next sag stop. At the 60 mile sag there was a buffalo farm. 




Karen the Sag and Hille who got picked up at the 20 mile mark because of knee pain.  Hille spent the day with Karen.  The sag does not stop sagging and take you in.  You become a helping hand.

Mary and I continued on our ride.  The roads became rough. Your butt feels it too.

Around the mile marker 70 we past the lead riders.  We stayed in the front for the rest of the ride.

Right before the 80 mile sag, I dropped my chain after a decent.  The bridge where I dropped the chain goes over  the Osceola River.  When I went to change gears to get ready for the climb for after we crossed the bridge I dropped my chain.  So Mary and I stopped I fixed the chain and we took a picture.

After crossing the river we crossed into Wisconsin.  But it was only for a short period of time we were in Wisconsin.  We crossed back into Minnesota.  So no Margarita party.  Because we didn't stay in the new state.


After the incline into Osceola, the 80 mile sag was up and running.  We stopped ate more food and used the restroom.  To be polite again I bought another Mt Dew.  Mary even took a golp of my Mt Dew.


After leaving the 80 mile sag.  We had to climb a steep incline.  Once we reached the top.  We were on true back roads.  No traffic. The roads were nice.  we continued to keep a very good pace.

But the hills today, they were all at the end.  After riding 80 plus miles you do not want to ride hills.  the last 20 miles I was saying a few choice words.

Made it to the 90 mile mark.  The sag was there so I made Mary stop.  My feet and body were ready for a small break.

Densie(The Guide) and Nashville caught up to us at the 90 mile sag.

Hille Welcoming and cheering Densie and Nashville arriving



Mary and I both left in the lead.  We were doing good up until we got on SR 64 which is pretty much a interstate. Mary was up ahead.  I was right behind Mary.  It was a down hill once we got on so there was no pedaling going down.  Once I got to the up hill were you need to pedal I shifted down to a lower gear. But when I went to pedal I couldn't pedal.  My chain was all missed up.  I tried to fix it but had no luck.  So I walked it up the ramp that we had to exit on. Up where Mary was waiting for me.  Thank god Densie the guide and Nashville were not far behind.  Densie said I had a chain suck. She fixed it.  Thank goodness.  I didnt want to make it all this way and then have to get picked up before the 100 mile mark.

Mary, Nashville, Densie and I rode the last miles together.  I didnt make it very far. At the 99 mile I had to pee and I could not hold it.  So I pulled off the road and walked into the brush and relieved myself.  Good thing I did it was all down and up and up and up from there.

We went down a descent back across the mississippi river back into Minnesota.  And from there it was up and it was like a mile long hill that you never thought would end.. 

First part of hill
Second part of hill


Once we crossed the top of the hill we were not far from the hotel.
We made it. My first century. My first 106 miles.  Wow it felt great. Felt even better to be off the bike.
What made the day even better was having a room on the first floor. 
Carried my luggage and bike to the room.

Looked in the mirror and said to myself I should have worn sunscreen!


Took a shower.  And then went outside and greeted and cheered the other riders coming in.



Before dinner Jeanette and her roommate


I helped carry dinner and things into the hotel from the trailer.  I talked the lady at the counter into letting us use the hospitality room. Even through she didnt want us in there.

Dinner was great.

Cathy and I were cheered after dinner for completing our first century.  It was a great way to end the day.
I did laundry and then I went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment