Saturday, May 28, 2011

La Crosse, Wi to Prairie Du Chain, WI

Miles 68


The morning started out cloudy and chilly.  We rode through three states today.  Started in wisconsin, went through minnesota, Iowa and returned back to wisconsin.  I was the lead rider for the first 15 miles.  I didn't want to ride after the first 10 miles.  I just felt tried.  I waited and waited for the van/trailer to appear.  But my luck the guides had gone off to scout a route.  The sag was available after mile 40 when Jeanette got out.  She got a 40 mile bump because her knee is bothering her.  I continued with Jeanette.  We had to ride up two hills that were at least a mile long.  Man I hate hills.  Fat people and hills just are not a match. Jeanette lost me on the first hill.  I didn't see her till I got to the hotel. I rode the next hill by myself which is fine by me.  I continued to not want to ride.  I just felt tried.  I made it to Harper's Ferry a very small town. I used the park restroom.  I went to the gas station to get a Mt Dew when I came out the van/trailer was there.  I told them I was looking for them must off the day but they never came.  I only had like 14 miles to go so I told them I would just finish.  Donna May came riding up to the sag. Once Donna was ready to take off, I went with her.  We had to climb two more hills.  Donna was motivating me the whole way.  I made it to the 62 mile mark.  Right at the Effigy mounds national monument.  We had a small hill and a small descent on the descent my rear tire began to wobble.  I thought I had a flat.  When we pulled in to the parking lot of the National Monument we checked the tire and it was not flat.  Thank goodness the van/trailer stopped to view the mounds and wait for the sag there.  The guides figured out it was a loose spoke.  I was off the hook for the last 8 miles.  I went into the Effigy mounds NM and watched a video on the mounds, It was interesting.  I did not see them in people I was not going to walk the 1/2 mile to them.  The guides took me and Lee to town. Lee didn't want to ride anymore.  I needed to get to the bike shop before it closed.  We just made it to the bike shop before it closed.  The owner was nice and stayed open late for us.  He fixed my spoke and tightened all my spokes.  Then he discovered that my rear brakes were miss a lined. They were probably rubbing for most of the day.  Its probably why I felt so tired and not wanting to ride. Then he also discovered my hub is messed up. But he did not have the part for that.  My bike is rideable.  It just needs to be fixed soon.  Tomorrow is a 46 mile day.  We are going to dyersville, IA.  Field of dreams  here I come.  I been thinking of not riding tomorrow.  Will see in the morning.

Hotel were we stayed.  Awesome hotel.


The bridge back to Minnesota. a cross the Mississippi again.















I think these are baby Lama's


A beaver


Homes on the Mississippi
These things looked like bird houses

Outside of Brownsville
Sue up ahead
The water is flooded out everywhere

Purple flowers along the road are beautiful

Wide open spaces
Second state of the day


Sue at the Iowa sign

The town of New Albin, IA

Jeanette at the second sag.  Playing with the chalk







Sue waving at the train

Carol was sag today!  She has ran a marathon on every continent.  She started running in her 40's
Jeanette posing for the camera
Mary and Jeanette
I left the second sag with Karen and Mary

This bike was made out of wood

Bike in a tree

A full size boat
Going up!

Still going up
A bridge that I didn't cross.  It was outside of Lansing.  Just thought it was cool looking
The Vet I gave a donation to in Lansing.  Then asked for directions
Town of Lansing

Hot Rod


Jeanette losing me on a hill

Never ending hill

We were on the great river rd
Anyone want to go up




Thank goodness.  Finally going do.
Another church
What the......  Going up again







The road into Harper's Ferry was flat but it was windy. 




Gas station where I stopped for a Mt Dew
Public Restroom in Lansing
Leaving the sag with Donna
Going up!


The Guides putting my bike on top of the Van.  WooHoo!!!



Donna taking a break


This photo I was laying down in the van looking up out the window


Another looking up photo
Looking up at the bridge in the van
Flea market outside of Prairie Du Chien, WI


The bike shop where I got my bike corrected







 My roommate Lee for the night


No comments:

Post a Comment