Monday, May 23, 2011

May 18th 2011

Mercier drove me to Bloomington Amtrak.  Because of the high speed train, new tracks were being layed. Everyone south of bloomington had to be bused in. My bike would not fit on the bus so that is why I was taken to bloomington


Left Bloomington at 10:10am.  Got to Chicago around 1:00pm.  My next train to Fargo left at 2:15pm.  Bought a bike box and ticket for the bike.  Was sent to the basement of Amtrak in Chicago to box my box.
The chicago Amtrak employees I encountered were very pleasant. The lady at the counter who sold me my box and ticket. Closed her lane and walked me to where I needed to take care of my bike. Which I'm sure pissed a lot of people off.  But she didn't seem to mind.  The warehouse/luggage guy was awesome just had to ready my bike to be boxed and He did the rest.  I was a little nervous leaving my bike. 




The above pic is of the sleeping car lounge in Chicago. If you go by sleeping car you are going first class.  Free drinks and snacks in the lounge. You are the first on the train.  You have showers available on train. They offer you champagne and candies.  The best part is you have your own area.


Its the left and right side of car.  Two seats facing each other. They recline and also pull out flat to make a bed.  There is a bunk above.  There is a door that locks and a curtain for privacy. Only issue I had was the outlet in the room did not work.

The Light in the restroom on the Amtrak.

May 19th

Made it to Fargo, SD at 4:30am.  I was the only person who got off the train but 5 or 6 people got on the train.  My bike made it!!

I looked the hotel up on my phone. I walked the distance to the hotel.  Fargo was dead to the world. Or the whole town was sleeping.  When I got to the Radisson, I asked the clerk if the hotel could prorate my room. Since I checked in at 5am. He agreed.  I got the room for $59.00 til check out at noon.  I only slepted like two hours.  I was up and at it by 9am.

 Rode my bike the 3.5 miles  to Roger Mavis Museum.  Its free and is located at the West Acres Shopping Center(Mall).  Its open displays along a hallway.





I had to race back to the hotel to check out by noon.  I made it.

Woman Tours orientation was at 1pm.  It was a meeting on rules, map for the next day and a small get to know ya meeting. After that meeting Sag drivers had their own meeting.  I joined because for the second half of the tour I will be replacing Carol in Cleveland.  It will be a nice discount. 




The triangle we are required to wear on ourselfs or our bike.

After orientation we checked in under the woman tours. I roomed with Mary from Ohio.  After we got bikes and bags to our rooms it was happy hour for a lot of the ladies.  After happy hour the hotel served use dinner. At dinner a lot of the women learned of my age.  Yes, I'm the youngest.  But doesn't matter these women are amazing.  They can pedel there hearts out.

After dinner I went out and took pictures downtown.






This is the sag(support and gear) vehicle. Will meet us every 15 or so miles. Give us more water and snacks. It will also stay out til all riders are in.

This is the van/trailer. Kitchen is in the rear. Luggage department on the side.  It helps support half the day. One guide drives while the other is riding. Halfway point the guides switch. The guide who rides first (Patty our cook). Depending on the day length will stay out a little longer or she may leave to go to the grocery store.

This is the kitchen where all our meals or most our meals come from.

Went inside the Fargo bike shop and found this on the wall.



May 20th was the first ride day.  We left from the very cool bike shop in Fargo. It is the old train depot.  We had our group photo and then we were off.  WooHoo!! 

The above picture is of the people taking the group photo.


Making our way out of Fargo. My first day was short lived.  I rode 30miles of the 57 miles. I was doing real well, I was with lead group.
First sag stop of the day
Everyone refueling with food and water.

The winds were trouble. 20 mph winds right at ya.   A lot of work.  It sucked.


 Mile 30 had the Van pick me up and take me to Pelican Rapids to the motel.  Took a shower and went to the laundry mat.  By the time I got back most everyone was riding in. 

We stayed at:
The owners were very nice.  They cleaned out their garage so we all could park our bikes inside the garage.

Patty our cook made salmon, mashed potatoes and salad. Which was awesome.  Everyone on the tour says Patty is the best cook that Woman Tours has.

After dinner I went downtown to take a pic of the 15ft pelican and found a bunch of small pelicans also:


I roomed with Sue from Texas. Her blog is seesuespin.blogspot.com. Its a great read.



May 21th we rode to Wadena, MN.  It rained all day.  I made the whole trek.  My first 60miles. It rained most of the day.

We saved a turtle.




 I was the lead rider until mile 40.  We all stopped for lunch at Betty's.  But not before taking pics of the huge otter.

Everyone taking pics of us at the huge Otter.
Everyone taking there gear off to go eat.



Mile 43 I got my first flat on the Tour.  Yes, I fixed my own flat.
The last 20 miles into Wadena, Mn were hell for me.  My whole body hurt.

Sorry I started to eat before the pic.  It was pasta,
some type of salad and bread. Yes I did go back for seconds!
We celebrated Patty's birthday after dinner.
I roomed with Ramsey. She is from Nashville, Tn.  I call her Nashville.

 May 22

 81miles. The road out of Wadena, Mn was trouble. All these cracks. Your butt can only handle so many bumps. 
Yes these little cracks make your ass and lower parts hurt bad.  It would be like being in a car and hitting a speed bump every 5 ft.  After awhile it just starts to drive you crazy.

Rode in the front up until mile 50. The last 30 miles was a real mental game.  It rained no it poured and thundered. 

 Very cool looking horse.
 Riders in the distance leaving the first sag stop.
 All roads off the main roads are dirt/sand.
 This is a hill I climbed after the second sag stop. Not what you want to see after a nice break,
 Its very green and open in Minnesota.
Saw this along the road.

 Took a pic before going down.
This is Sue taking a photo of me taking a photo of her at the hotel in Wadena.

My first 81 started out ok.  But through out the day was chased by three dogs.  Mile 7 was chased by a dog but thank god he never left his yard. He just ran the length of this yard.
Mile 24 I heard the dog barking. Its amazing they see and hear you even before you are close to there house.  He waited til I got to his driveway and then charged down his driveway and out into the street. Barking and right at my heels. It felt like he chased me forever. But it was far enough that I was tired afterward.  I called the van and tried to warning the others because I was still in the front at this time.
Mile 60 I had a small collie chase me but I really think he was a friendly dog.  He wasn't barking at me as he ran after the bike.

At mile 50 or so I picked this up off the side of the road. I carried it the last 30 miles so I could give it to Patty for her birthday. But it also made me laugh the last miles.

He will be riding with the guides in the van.


This is a video of the rain.


Dinner was chicken Taco, salad and rice and beans.


Sitting around eating and talking.

81 miles to Little Falls, MN

We crossed the Mississippi. The water is very high.

I roomed with Hille from Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment