Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stillwater, MN to Wabasha, MN

Miles  84

We had a map meeting at 7:15am this morning. Yesterday was an off day. So the guides don't work on off days.  You really don't see much of them at all.  They go and do there own thing.  We all ate breakfast before hand.  I had a waffle and OJ.  All the ladies were mothering me, making sure I put sunscreen on.  We left the hotel around 8am.  It was chilly when we left.  The sun was out all day.  Perfect day to be outside.

I rode with Patty(the cook) maybe the first 20.  The hills just killed me.  I dont recover fast enough after a hill.  I'm sure by the end of the tour I'll have no problem.  Going out of town there was this older prison. 



My pics of the prison are not very good.  I was on the move when I took them.

The hills today were never ending hills.  The only positive about a hill is you eventually have to go down.  Which is always fun.  I got up to 48 mph on one of the last big down hills we rode.  Oh it was awesome

This is a pic of a hill.  The roads were pretty nice the whole way.


 This is the second part of the above pic.
 This house was huge.  The pic does it no justice.

Picture of the sky and landscape while moving on bike.
 Picture of the beautiful weather we had today.
 This is Lea and Bettye in front of me on a descent.
Our first sag of the day was at St Criox Bluffs Park

The Ranger Station in St Criox Park.  We used the restroom.

Nashville and Jeanette talking about those damn hills probably!
 Cathy coming up  to the ranger station.

The Van parked at the entrance of the park
 Everyone at our first sag stop of the day refueling on food and water

Everyone talking about the ride, the beatiful day and eating.

Lea taking a photo of me taking a photo of her.  She finally was able to find a battery recharger for her camera.  She was taking photos like crazy.  But we all like our cameras!!

Mary eating and getting ready to take off.

 Sue was the sag for the day.
 Nashville posing for the camera!
 Hille finally making it to the first sag.
 Nashville, Densie(the guide) and Hille talking about restroom options.
 Patty( the cook)  enjoying her ride.  I finally caught back up to her at the sag.  We left again together put she dropped me faster than you can say dropped.   It didnt help that I dropped my chain shifting to a granny gear.

This picture is upside down,  its my dropped chain.


This is the road going into Prescott


 Crossing the bridge.  The St Criox and mississippi river











Here we go up again right outside of prescott
 Still going up

 Up we go!
 Finally down we go!

Oh crap up we go again!
 Just a picture of the tree line
 Yeah we are still going up

Yes, we are going down.  Jan, Carol, Patty stopped to look at the elk farm.



Going up!
 Still going up.
 I caught up to Carol and Jan.  This is the hill that continued to give.
 A oversized truck.  A tractor was coming from the other way.  I got off my bike and completely off the road so it could pass.

 Going up still
 Nashville and I pulled off in a driveway.  Took in some water and took our jackets off.  Hille and Lee continued to the top.  Dont think I would have made it if it were not for the small break we took.
 Jan conquering the hill following Lee and Hille.
There goes Carol.  Go Carol Go!

 We are all still going up.  This Damn hill was the never ending hill.
 We are finally starting to see the top.

 Hille, Lee and Carol waiting at the top for us.
 Celebrating!! We all made it.
 Jan made it. WOOHOO!

 On the down hill there was a bicyclist on the other side fixing a fit.



Down and up Down and up

 Nashville  I think we are going down


Are second sag we had a visitors.  They were going mushroom hunting.


 The Stuff we eat on our sag breaks!



 This lady helped us.  We ask to make sure we were on the right track.  We were
Road Construction before red wing, MN

 Red Wing factory


 World's largest boot!!






 The sink at red wing store.
 We had lunch in  Red Wing, MN.  Jan, Lee, Nashville, Carol, Rhoda, Karen and I. I had a cheeseburger and chips with a mt dew.
 Love seeing these signs.  No pedaling






 Traffic was pretty close
Nashville and I had to ride the whole lane to get through this construction.  There was no shoulder.



 Finally made it to the town we are staying in.  The hills became rolling hills like 20 miles out.  They were hills but they didnt kill ya.

Dinner was great as always.
70 miles tomorrow!!

Lee was my roommate

No comments:

Post a Comment